Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Sunday, 28 October 2012

WIP: Vanguard 'Samaritan'....

...from Studio McVey's Sedition Wars miniatures. This was a limited edition resin figure (one of a set of four and an auto-turret) that I was lucky enough to pick-up at Salute earlier this year. He, and his fellow Vanguard troopers, will soon re-appear in plastic as part of the boxed game 'Battle for Alabaster funded by a very successful kickstarter campaign. In anticipation of receiving my game(s) next month I've started painting a couple of the resin figures...

Saturday, 20 October 2012

Heresy Miniatures - 20% off...

...all miniatures so if you like the Sci-Fi troopers now would be a good time to buy them!

WIP: Heresy Sci-Fi Trooper: Urban camo...

...Vallejo Dk.Blue Grey patches are painted in the every other gap (does that make sense?) between the Sky Grey joining the latter patches and leaving patches of the base Dk.Grey.

I also did a little more work on the scarring on the l/h side of the face (looks like claw-marks) and noticed I'd missed a small seam line on the beret - bollocks!


Friday, 19 October 2012

WIP: Heresy Sci-Fi Trooper: urban camo... in this example

...begins with two very thin coats of Vallejo Dk.Grey over all of the clothing and armour (as an undercoat for the darker grey of the armour). Although Vallejo is my paint of choice I find a lot of colours, even after vigorous shaking of the bottle, dry with a sheen - almost a satin finish - so I've started adding Tamiya Flat Base to certain colours (mostly the various dk.greys and black) after a tip from one of my favourite miniature painters, Simon aka Doremi Fasol Latido,  who was kind enough to share his recipe for the various 'blacks' he uses. His blog and website are well worth a visit. The collar and breastplate have been started as I wanted to paint the head completely (still needs a little attention...) before starting on the uniform.

I then applied patches of Sky Grey. I have a couple of 'rules' I pretty much adhere to when painting patches of camo regarding size and placement - each of the patches are always smaller than the figures hands; If possible I don't cross seamlines (the outside of the legs and the helmet cover are the best areas for this feature); I don't place patches of the same colour next to each other where the camo is broken by seams or flaps (pockets, ammo pouches etc); once the first patch is painted the next is painted slightly higher or lower and about a patch width apart. This helps to keep the different elements of the figure from blending into an homogenous whole (ironically as camo is supposed to do!) but still maintains the appearance of a camo'ed uniform. The patches are painted with well-thinned paint using the tip of a  No.1 paint brush and most of the paint is wiped off the brush to prevent puddles.The shapes themselves are pretty random but are reasonabley consistent in their form - due mainly to the number of figures I've painted with a camo uniform.

Generally I paint between three and five figures at a time and I have two other troopers on the table too. Here's the female trooper...

Thursday, 18 October 2012

Monday, 8 October 2012

I'm considering a repaint...

...for my Pig Iron Ironstorm - still one of my favourite sci-fi vehicles and perhaps deserving of an update. I reworked both the vehicle and 'driver' quite extensively (eg. the addition of lower front and rear plates; drilling out the drivers section; removing the head of the driver, hollowing out the helmet and replacing the head with a Hasslefree female head and sculpting new arms and legs). It was painted several years ago and I think I could make a better job of it now not least in terms of the weathering.


ACP Games 15mm Nationalists

Antenociti 15mm Karbardin APC and Zebu Cruiser